Governor Andy Cuomo is not #whatkidsneed!
Andy Cuomo, our sophomoric New York State Governor, claims to be the only student advocate, yet he is willing to hold the children of our state hostage as he pushes his vendetta campaign against public school teachers across the Empire State.
New York State United Teachers ( NYSUT) has begun a #whatkidsneed campaign to highlight what is at risk with Cuomo’s education destruction agenda. Keeping in that spirit I thought I would list things that kids don’t need from Andy Cuomo.
- Doubling the weight of high stake tests that will “break our students backs” is NOT #whatkidsneed!
- Making 9 year old children sit through 540 minutes of tests is NOT#whatkidsneed!
- Using the release of vital school budget information as a weapon is NOT #whatkidsneed!
- Keeping state aid below 2008 levels is NOT #whatkidsneed!
- The New York State Regents recommended a budget increase of $2.2Billion, Andy’s 50% reduction down to $1.1Billion is NOT #whatkidsneed!
- Andy Cuomo’s tax cap which has pushed many districts into fiscal distress is NOT #whatkidsneed!
- Andy Cuomo’s inflammatory language about public schools is certainly is NOT #whatkidsneed!
- Andy Cuomo promoting the agenda of his hedge fund billionaire campaign supporters is NOT #whatkidsneed!
- Allowing Charter schools to siphon need funds away from public schools is NOT #whatkidsneed!
- Programs that are being eliminated due to Andy’s tax cap is a trend that is NOT #whatkidsneed!
- Andy Cuomo’s continued use of the Gap Elimination Adjustment that is driving class sizes up and destroying programs for kids is NOT #whatkidsneed!
- Demonizing dedicated professionals that are vital for our children’s future is NOT #whatkidsneed!!
- Supporting standards that are based on political rhetoric and not real research is NOT #whatstudents need!
- Eliminating due process which will hamper a teachers effort to speak up for their students is NOT #whatkidsneed!
As we begin the second term of Andy Cuomo, it is clearer than ever that this is a governor that is NOT #whatkidsneed!